Kanli Tower (Bloody Tower), a monumental fortress in the Old Town, was built by the Turks after 1539. It was built on the site and foundations of an earlier fortress. In the present size, the work of the Turkish builders has preserved, in the most part, the authentic architecture of that time. Raised at an altitude of 85m, on the north side of the city, and with its position and ramparts, the complex fortification system of the Old Town is rounded up. Dimensions of the fortress 60x70m, with corner towers of coarse domestic stone, make monumental impression. Some parts of the western wall belong to the period of early use of firearms. The Turks gave it a final appearance, while the Venetians made certain repairs and attachments after major damage, especially in 1687, when the Herceg Novi was conquered after a two-year Turkish rule. The interior of the fortress contains a well-preserved cistern, which throughout the time has lost its original purpose and became a prison cell. On its walls, we can still see numerous drawings of various types of galleasses, fish representation, crosses, coats of arms and dates. Drawings were engraved in plaster and were made out by prisoners, especially in the time of the Turks, which can be seen by the type of galleasses used by the Turks in the 16th and 17th century. The interior of Kanli Kula was restored for the first time in 1960 for the summer stage, perhaps the most beautiful open scene on the whole Adriatic coast, with a thousand of seats and an amphitheater of rare beauty and functionality. The successful adaptation was made by the architects Milorad Petijevic from Herceg Novi and Katarina Djivovic from Dubrovnik. At that time the archaeologist Ilija Pusic performed significant sondage and protective archaeological research in the scene and auditorium. The designers adhered to the values of architecture and the complete vision of the fortress walls, which could not be said for the second, complete adaptation, after the earthquake in 1979, when the interior of the fort was practically immersed. The reconstruction of the whole fortress in the existing building was carried out in the Venetian spirit, both on tower and walls, as well as on the interior. Although it has not maintained the previous spirit and the ambience of the old summer stage, contemporary functionality and artistry cannot be taken away from the present stage, although it had been achieved at the expense of the part of the cultural heritage that this object represented. The reconstruction project after the earthquake in 1979 was developed by architect Boris Ilijanic, from Herceg Novi.