Forte Mare Fortress (The Sea Fortress) is located on the coast. It was built between the 14th and 17th century, restored in 1833 and from 1952 was reconstructed in the summer cinema. The fortress was built on solid rock, above the promenade, and within the walls there is a passage from the sea shore to the top of the fortress. On the upper side there is “SEA GATE ( Porta di Mare) with preserved fortification elements of Bosnian period. Forte Mare certainly among the most beautiful examples of fortification architecture and quite realistic assumptions are that there was a nucleus of the Old Town. Forte Mare is open to individual and group visitors every day from 9 – 20h. Ticket for individual visits is 2 Euros, while group’s ticket is 1 Euro per person.
On the main square of the Old Town, Herceg Stjepan Square – which is popularly referred to as Belavista, is one of the gems of architecture from Boka, specific by architectural and artistic workmanship – church of St. Archangel Michael. The church was started to build in 1883. Many architects worked on raising the church, a project on which it was finally built, in 1905 was made by architect Milan Karlovac. The church was built of finely carved stone blocks from Korcula, and the construction was completed and the church was consecrated in 1911. By its general spatial Byzantine style concept, ornate of Romanesque-Gothic and Islamic reminiscences, this building of eclectic spirit represents an extremely successful and imaginative blend of styles and it is one of the most beautiful churches in the area. The iconostasis of white, Italian marble was made by master Bilinic from Split while icons were made by Czech painter Franjo Cigle.
Kanli Tower (Bloody Tower), a monumental fortress in the Old Town, was built by the Turks after 1539. It was built on the site and foundations of an earlier fortress. In the present size, the work of the Turkish builders has preserved, in the most part, the authentic architecture of that time. Raised at an altitude of 85m, on the north side of the city, and with its position and ramparts, the complex fortification system of the Old Town is rounded up. Dimensions of the fortress 60x70m, with corner towers of coarse domestic stone, make monumental impression. Some parts of the western wall belong to the period of early use of firearms. The Turks gave it a final appearance, while the Venetians made certain repairs and attachments after major damage, especially in 1687, when the Herceg Novi was conquered after a two-year Turkish rule. The interior of the fortress contains a well-preserved cistern, which throughout the time has lost its original purpose and became a prison cell. On its walls, we can still see numerous drawings of various types of galleasses, fish representation, crosses, coats of arms and dates. Drawings were engraved in plaster and were made out by prisoners, especially in the time of the Turks, which can be seen by the type of galleasses used by the Turks in the 16th and 17th century. The interior of Kanli Kula was restored for the first time in 1960 for the summer stage, perhaps the most beautiful open scene on the whole Adriatic coast, with a thousand of seats and an amphitheater of rare beauty and functionality. The successful adaptation was made by the architects Milorad Petijevic from Herceg Novi and Katarina Djivovic from Dubrovnik. At that time the archaeologist Ilija Pusic performed significant sondage and protective archaeological research in the scene and auditorium. The designers adhered to the values of architecture and the complete vision of the fortress walls, which could not be said for the second, complete adaptation, after the earthquake in 1979, when the interior of the fort was practically immersed. The reconstruction of the whole fortress in the existing building was carried out in the Venetian spirit, both on tower and walls, as well as on the interior. Although it has not maintained the previous spirit and the ambience of the old summer stage, contemporary functionality and artistry cannot be taken away from the present stage, although it had been achieved at the expense of the part of the cultural heritage that this object represented. The reconstruction project after the earthquake in 1979 was developed by architect Boris Ilijanic, from Herceg Novi.
It was built in 1856 and is located in the Old Town, on the lower square – Square Mica Pavlovic. In the same place, earlier (in the 17th century) was raised Catholic parish church, dedicated to St. Jerome patron of the town. This church was destroyed in the 19thcentury and in the same place was built the existing one but much spacious and larger. The church holds works of one of the greatest Baroque painter, Tripo Kokolja.
As part of the Institute Igalo there is a complex that once belonged to a lifetime president of SFR Yugoslavia, Josip Broz Tito. This complex is known as villa “Galeb” which was built in 1976. This villa is President Tito visited 4 times on an official visit. Visitors are able to see the places where Tito and his associates and guests held meetings, watching movies, one of the apartments in which they resided his close associates, his apartment and the apartment of his wife Joan, who are also the most exclusive part of Tito’s villa. Expected Dates for tours are: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays at 18 and 19:15 hrs. Tickets to consumption (juice, water and coffee) cost 3 euros.
The church is located in the old town, next to the church of St. Jeronim. This Catholic church was built on the orders of Jeronim Korner, in 1688, immediately after the occupation of the city by the Venetians. It was dedicated to St. Mother of God (St. Mary), and later dedicated to St. Francis. This church was served by the Friars Capuchins, two priests and two monks, chosen for special merits during the war against the Turks. Immediately to the monastery, the administration of the military hospital was settled where served Friars Capuchins. A school for young people was also in the monastery. Today it is dedicated to St. Leopol Mandic (1866 – 1942), who was born in Herceg Novi, and in 1882 he entered the Capuchin seminary and devoted himself to religious life. Leopold Mandic was proclaimed saintly in 1983 by Pope John Paul II. The day of the church is May 12, the birthday of Saint Leopold Mandic. Altar painting in the church of St. Leopold Mandic is the works of painter Ananije Verbinski from Herzegovina. Next to the church are rooms of the Franciscan sisters as well as premises of the Parish Office.
Promenade of Herceg Novi called “Five Danica”, in the length of 6 kilometers, stretches along the sea from Igalo to Meljine. The promenade is named after the names of five Danica, five young girls who bravely fought and died in World War II. Part of the route of the former famous railway line Sarajevo- Zelenika, also passed through this walkway and hence in Herceg Novi, with the sound of the ship’s siren, sometimes could be heard the roar of the train, called “Cira” among people. Today, next to the promenade dominates the sound of waves, masts that jingle and music from pubs situated along the promenade. Along the way you will encounter a concrete and pebble beaches and resting spots, outdoor swimming pool, yacht club, the harbor, and the number of turns to the stairs that will take you to the city center. City promenade is ideal route for fast or slow walking, run, riding of bike and roller skates, meditation by the sea, discovering history of the town or hanging out in one of the cafes with a relaxing view of the sea.
The town’s main street, open to traffic and pedestrians, parallel to the city’s main boulevard. The street is named after the famous bishop and poet, who spent part of his youth in Herceg Novi, studying at Topla with Josip Tropovic. Njegos’s Street, traffic and pedestrian heart of the city, follows the way from Topla to Herceg Novi, crossing with shortcuts and staircases that lead to the sea. In Njegoseva street you can find many urban administrative centers and institutions like the Post Office in Herceg Novi, Municipality of Herceg Novi, houses where lived renowned writers and poets Ivo Andric, then Stevan Raickovic, Hall Park, cafes, boutiques, shops of mobile operators, etc.